By Georgeanne Brennan
This salad is full of the taste of early summer, with a mix of textures and flavors. Young, firm, zucchinis are cut in thin pasta-like ribbons and marinated rather than cooked. For a heartier dish, cooked fettuccini could be added.
For: 6 portions
- 10 min.
- 10 min.
- Ready in
- 20 min.
- Bring 8 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Boil the green beans just until tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold running water until cool, then drain and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini. Still using the vegetable peeler, cut the meat of the zucchini into long, thin, fettuccini-like ribbons. Set aside.
- Put the salt and the garlic in a bowl and, using the back of a fork or a pestle, crush them into a paste. Still using the fork, incorporate the olive oil, and then the lemon juice and the pepper. Put this mixture in a large bowl and add the peas, beans, the uncooked zucchini ribbons, and the basil. Turn well to coat, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Marinating the vegetables will dilute the marinade, so before serving the seasonings must be adjusted. To prepare for serving, first taste the vegetables, then add some additional lemon juice, salt, pepper, the peas, and basil until the vegetables are well-seasoned to your taste. They should not be bland. Add about half the Parmesan curls.
- To serve, put in a serving bowl or on a platter, top with the basil and remaining Parmesan cheese curls.